Get Started Today!
The WDC focuses on self-sufficiency in our job training and employment programs. One of our chief tools is the innovative Self-Sufficiency Calculator.
Anyone in Washington state can use this online tool to determine how much it really costs to meet all your family's basic expenses, based on your unique family make-up and where you live. The Calculator also shows if you may be eligible for public benefits that can help reduce your expenses. With this information, you can make employment and education plans that meet your real needs.
The Calculator's formulas, based on academic research, were updated and expanded in 2009.
- Jump in and try the Calculator!
- Read our brochure to find out more about the Calculator and how to use it. (This is a large file, so it will take a few extra moments to load.)
- The Calculator’s formulas are based on the Self-Sufficiency Standard for Washington (October 2011).
- Case managers, employment specialists and other staff can find valuable desk aids and technical assistance below.
- If you are interested in having your career counseling or case management staff trained in using the Calculator with clients, email the WDC or call (206) 448-0474.
Self-Sufficiency Calculator: Staff Resources & Desk Aids
You can take advantage of these resources and desk aids to use the Calculator more effectively for yourself, or if you are a career counselor or case manager, with your clients.
For WDC service providers using the Calculator:
- Technical Assistance Memo #6
- Step-By-Step Guide to Saving Customer Information
- Work Support Programs Covered by the Self-Sufficiency Calculator
- Virtual Customer: Wanda and How to Read Your Self-Sufficiency Report
- Career Exploration Tools
- Sample Budget Worksheet